Thursday, April 9, 2009

I just Shelled out another $100 grand and I don't even get a stripe.


I just bought my cap and gown for Columbia Commencement, Redux 2009: The Master's Edition. It cost $54 + 4 semesters at 23,000 a pop. Like the CU BA cap and gown, it's a powder blue with two black flaps encrusted with the Columbia Crown on the chest. Now, you would think that as a graduate earning a Master's degree there would be a hood, or a stripe or some other embellishment that would distinguish me from the bachelor degree recipients who will be standing to my left at commencement.

Ya... no.

The sleeves are longer? Yea... That's it. The sleeves are longer. I think I can store an apple in them in case I get hungry during Prez Bo's speech. Thanks Columbia.

I'm standing here holding this hideous construction of cheap periwinkle fabric, packaging strewn on the floor, and all i can think is "i should have cut an inch off the bottom of my undergrad gown and tacked it on to the sleeves." What the hell am I going to do with TWO identical caps and gowns? At least when I graduated in 2007 i was a class marshall, so I had one of those gold ropes on my shoulders.

Seriously Columbia, I love you, but really, don't you think I deserve a stripe or something? I mean you refused to fund my MA... in the very least give me the cap and gown for free?

No comments: