Thursday, January 1, 2009

Looking back on 2008... a few Things I've Learned

It pays to be a humanities student when the stock market crashes -- While many of my wall street friends have to worry about whether or not they'll still have a job in 2009, I'm applying for fellowships which means people will be paying me to be a student and write about art for the next 7 years (hopefully, this will be just enough time for the economy to get back on track and for millionaires to start investing in paintings again)

Believe -- Watching the US Olympians in Beijing was incredibly inspiring. In the end, the lesson I learned watching our fencers bring home a historic 6 medals (oh and Michael Phelps winning those lovely 8 golds) is that you have to believe in yourself. As someone who so often lacks self confidence and so often doubts herself, BELIEVE is my new mantra for 2009.

3. Keep Fighting -- Last fall, my mother had her hip replaced. In less than a year, she was walking better than ever and made her way onto the US Veterans Fencing World Championship Team. She proceeded to be the best finisher from the US in her age category. A year before she couldn't bend to touch her knees. It's pretty amazing what we can get through if we refuse to give up.

Cellulite Creams don't work -- They don't and in learning this, I also learned to embrace my thighs and accept the fact they are what they are because they work hard and because they belong to an athlete (or at least, to someone who spends a minimum of two hours a day at the gym, whether she looks it or not).

My Irish Gene is dominant -- One of my childhood fantasies was fulfilled this Christmas when my parents gave me a pasta maker. I had visions of rolling out piles and piles of fresh fettucinni with an expert hand in a matter of minutes. Yea, right. Try several hours of kneading, rolling, re hydrating, and kneading. Now, give me a potato and I'm an ace. But this whole pasta from scratch thing is a little more work than Giadi de Laurentis would have us believe.

I've read too much Jane Austen -- at some point this year I realized Mr. Darcy "lived" in the 19th century and I should bloody well get over it.

I'm really just a country girl at heart -- For a long time I had this idea I was a city girl a la Carrie Bradshaw (but with half a heart belonging to the Rockies). My trip to Limoges, FRA and my extended stays at home made it clear to me that I like my rolling hills and fields, my small farm-style houses and long walks.

Country Music is the only place where the Guitar still lives -- contemporary pop killed the guitar solo. But listen to groups like Big and Rich and you'll find there's still a lil Stevie Ray on today's charts.

No comments: