Thursday, December 25, 2008

Songs I can Wait a Year For...

Mum: "Whatever happened to Silent Night?!?!"
Dad: "You kept talking."


There's a reason why traditional Christmas carols have been sung for several hundred years -- they're good. I don't know what the radio DJs were thinking this year, but for whatever reason all they felt like playing was insipid "pop" Christmas songs. A few weeks ago I posted the songs I most enjoy at Christmas time. Now I am posting the songs that I will happily wait (at least) a year to hear again...

Alvin and the Chipmunks -- Christmas Don't Be Late
All I know is that Alvin still wants a hoola hoop and I want to feed those little chipmunks to my terriers.

John Lennon -- Happy Christmas (war is over)
I don't need my Christmas songs to be pontificating. Could that chorus be repeated any more times? (I know this is a favorite for many... sorry)

John Lennon* -- Give Peace a Chance
See above.

Paul McCartney* -- Wonderful Christmas Time
Again, someone turn off the repeat function on the chorus.

Ashley Tisdale, George Michaels, or whoever -- Last Christmas (I gave you my heart)
It's just terrible. I want my Christmas songs to be about Jesus and Mary and the Three Wise Men and Santa, not about recovering broken hearts.

Lou Monte -- Dominic the Donkey
I want Father Christmas, not the God Father.

Band Aid -- Do they Know it's Christmas
Awful awful awful.

Grandma Got Run Over By a Reindeer
I think this is supposed to be an attempt at a humorous Christmas song. It's just horrific. "Should we open up her gifts or send them back?" Please, send this one back.

Bruce Springsteen -- Santa Clause is coming to town
In general, I can't stand the Boss nor can I stand rocked out versions of early American standards. So this one just bats a big zero on my list.

If there are any I missed please feel free to add. There are oh so many more...

*I really dislike most John Lennon and Paul McCartney sans Beatles songs. Their Christmas ones are particularly hateful

another reason why I love Christmas: Click Here

No comments: