Friday, May 1, 2009

My Brand of Optimism, or How I Practically Find the Silver Lining

Blind optimism is sickening. Yes, it is true, it can always be worse... but when you're having a bad day, or a bad month, or a bad year it's hard not to be selfish and think that what you're going through is as bad as it gets. I've had a reasonable does of ups-and-downs in the last few months, events that have been serious blows to my ego and have made me question just about everything I'm doing/have done/intend to do. Onward and upward is an easy mantra to say, but not always the easiest to follow. Yet, despite being kicked around by moody admissions boards, fickle fencing tournaments and a handful of other unpleasant events, I remain generally optimistic. How? No, it's not through some path to enlightenment found through meditation and happy phrases. Instead, I have a far simpler solution for getting over life's hiccups.

I believe nothing helps you get over something like a good laugh -- find a friend, rent a movie, whatever, just get yourself laughing. Then get a cup of tea and a cookie.

If the laugh, tea and cookie don't do it, well then head for the gin and open up a box of Annie's Mac and Cheese and fill up to your heart's content. Fat and alcohol usually make up for what a good laugh and sugar can't do.

No comments: